Thursday, January 3, 2013

It's About Time!

I have a list of resolutions.  So far So Good.  I've actually kept them past 2 days.  So this is a record.  Actually, I started about a month ago.  The main one was to plan ahead and so I started in December to plan for the year at Absolutely Her.  I've got my sale and major events planned for the next few months along with the window displays.  The first display for the window was going to be a snowman and snowflakes with different winter coats.  That's what I wrote down.  But when I went to actually put it together, it didn't feel right.  So instead it has a theme...Miracles Happen Everyday and the color purple.  Technically I didn't stay with the plan that I had, but the actual goal was to change out the window.  Sometimes our lives don't follow the plan but we reach the goal.  Never knowing what was to happen but learning it was okay the way it turned out.  I've got several different things that I want to do this year.  And I'm hoping my first resolution of planning ahead is going to make the others fall into place.  Taking the burden off of one part of your life can lighten the load on the others as well. 

This blog is the start of the new year's goals as well.  And as I try to figure out where to go and what to write about, I think I should just start at the beginning.  Along the way you'll learn about the store, about consignment and more about me than you ever hoped to know. 

ABSOLUTELY HER has been my "dream" for a very long time.  Even before I knew what exactly it was going to be.  I knew I wanted my own business, but I sure didn't know what it was at the time.  For the longest time my obsession was shopping.  I loved to go to the malls to see what new things were out and what I just had to have.  There were bright and shiny objects tempting me at every turn and I bought them.  Lots of them.  More than I ever needed or ever wanted.  Some were beyond what I should have spent, but back then, I didn't care.  Just hand over the card.  Then a friend of mine introduced me to Goodwill and other thrift store shopping.  I found the same things at the mall for such a small price that I realized I couldn't stand to pay full price for things anymore.  By this time I was in a job that wasn't me but I stayed because I was afraid to leave.  It had been over 20 years.  How do you walk away from that stability?  And that paycheck?

People say that timing is everything and I know that to be true.  I was in the hospital with my mom when a story came on about consignment store shopping.  That's when the lightbulb came on and the idea started to form about what we could do in Papillion.  Convincing my husband was the next step...

2 comments:

  1. Angie, you are such an inspiration to us all. Thanks for setting goals and working on keeping on task. Your window looks great. We all have to step it up to keep up with your displays. Keep it up girl.

    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you convinced your husband :) Marissa and I both are! We have enjoyed getting to know you and I love your fashion advice!

    ReplyDelete