Friday, January 4, 2013

Hello World

So, I have an idea for the business.  How hard do you think it was to convince the Bank of Leonard?  Tough.  Very Tough.  But I knew the way to that man's heart was not with food but with a business plan.  I secretly created one while I was off work for a bit.  I spent days in what I called my office (a small study room at the library) to create the plan and research.  Then came the day when I presented the idea.  I think he was a little surprised and somewhat impressed that I had been working on it without him knowing.  In order to get the go-ahead to quit my job and totally change our lifestyle, the last thing I had to do was go back to Arizona and spend some time with a consignment shop owner I had met on a previous trip.  Kim was gracious enough to let me go and learn from her by going to several stores in her area to see what they did and then work in her store.  I have pages and pages of notes from those few days and still use them almost two years later.  She was (and still is) amazing.   

[I have a tendency to get side-tracked sometimes, we call that Kitty (aka: Sidebar):  This would be one of the biggest pieces of advice I would give anyone who was thinking about opening a new business.  Find a mentor and ask questions.]

One of the best days of this journey?  The day I put in my resignation (along with a packet on how to hire my replacement - complete with test and everything!)  As I waited for one of my biggest cheerleaders (Mick) to come to my house for our early morning walk/run, I started that day listening to a song by Lady Antebellum called "Hello World"...

"Well, hello world, how you been?  Good to see you, my old friendSometimes I feel as cold as steelAnd broken like I'm never gonna heal
I see a light, a little grace, a little faith unfurlWell, hello world"

I was actually in my driveway spinning around with my arms opened wide (at 0430, I don't hink anyone saw me, but I wouldn't have cared.)  That day was like freedom.  It was scary not knowing what the days ahead would bring.  But there was also excitement to learn about what the days ahead would bring.   Truthfully, this road was and is one of the hardest I have ever travelled.  And there have been plenty. 

We opened the doors to Absolutely Her on September 27th at 1:00 pm.  With over 1,200 items already, I felt I had a lot of inventory and was good to go.  Boy was I silly.  Today we have over 5,000 and are busting at the seams.  I LOVE IT! 


No comments:

Post a Comment