Tuesday, May 7, 2013

#3: A Little More Personal...

This morning I had the pleasure of having a breakfast meeting with the wonderful women of REgroup (Trish, Pauline, Diane & MJ).  One of the things that came up was my mom doing what mom's do best and bragging on her "littlest angel" as she went to the other shops during our REgroup shopping tour a couple of weeks ago.  I will say it used to embarrass me a little when she would do that, but not any more, because I completely understand as I want to brag about her today. 

Mom
I don't know if she will care that I am telling everyone, but she is 82 years old and has a more active social life than I do with all of the different groups she is involved in.  She is the president of a couple, volunteers at Midlands Hospital, "babysits juries" for the courthouse and can usually be found at the Legion with her best gal friends a couple of times a month.  (I actually taught the ladies how to play quarters a few years back - that was a great sight to see!)

When my dad died 24 years ago, she had the option of shutting down and dwelling or get out and enjoy life.  I am so thankful she decided to venture into areas she had not known.  She seems to have her own "bucket list" and is working on checking those things off and adding new ones. 

Now I know not everyone has the kind of mom that I do and I know that not everyone has been able to be the kind of mom that I have.  So my #3 isn't that it's necessary to have a mom, but to have someone in your corner who brags you up, is there when you need them - someone you know loves you no matter what.  And it's to be that person to someone else. 

As we have Mother's Day this week, let's take the time to celebrate all the women in your life.  And when someone special comes into your life, embrace them and make them one of your top one hundred. 


Still learning after all these years....
                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment